Monday, July 25, 2005

TIME Magazine logo now in the public domain?

When I first saw the cover of the Time magazine shown here, I was amused by ironic symbolism of the Chairman sporting the Louis Vuitton logo. For me it neatly summed up my rather naive understanding of China Today. However I think that I viewed it somewhat differently to how it was meant; Time Magazine, I'm sure, wanted to draw attention to the bourgeoning spending power of the rising borgeouise class in China; I saw it as yet another example of the Asian abilility to embrace everybody else's valuable symbols as their own. There was, however, a third point of view that I had not anticipated.


3 comments:

Old Bok said...

I think I am fundamentally against the concept of Intellectual Property -- including trademaks etc.
It seems to me wrong to restrict the use of Ideas.

Janis Godwin Spear said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Janis Godwin Spear said...

I wonder what the difference would have been if it had been a real photo of him wearing a real Louis Spitoon shirt?

How would it imact the copyright then?

Does this mean that if I wear any branded item of clothing and happen to appear on the cover of a magazine (albeit not quite as well-known and widely-read as Time) that I have to
a) get permission,
b) pay royalties,
c) make sure that the content is in line with the corporate identity of the maker's?

Would I have to put a disclaimer? Etc etc.

When are the thought police going to arrest me for the moustach I drew on the picture? And would they be from Time or from Louis Vuitton?

I think the most important question to ask is how many samolians they had to pay toon town to make the shirt in the first place.